Saturday, November 20, 2010

Embellish a Knit Month: Week 3 & Tutorial


Okay, I know, I know. I am waited until the end of the week to post this tutorial. So here it goes. Click "read more"




Last week I turned a sweater into a cardigan. Well, this week I did the opposite. Turning a cardigan into a pullover knit.
Before

I first pinned together the open pieces, along the seam of the top layer, and gathered it up just under the bust, with pins. Like so:

I then sewed my panels together, following the pins along the seam line.

To get the gathering for the bottom panel, I sewed a straight line along the seam and took the bobbin threads, and carefully pulled until it gathered the fabric.

Now for the embellishing part! I found some scrap black lace and silver tulle. I pinned my pieces on, then sewed the lace along the bottom, with a hint of tulle. I sewed tulle along the gathered part of the knit, and I sewed lace along the neckline and collar. I also added a button, giving the effect that it's keeping the knit together.

And this is the end result!
After!

Follow Kathleen's blog for more embellishing a knit ideas!



4 comments:

Katri said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I wish I had the same scrap fabric to embellish with. But I love the pullover/ruched look! Awesome!
http://katrihakes.blogspot.com

Katri said...

I was inspired by your work!!
http://katrihakes.blogspot.com/2011/01/ruffle-purple-sweater-refashion.html

Sew Country Chick said...

Hi Bethany, I was doing a search for sweaters to do a link up of sweater tutorials and found this beautiful sweater. Do you mind if I link to it this week?BTW I featured your beautiful pink dress this Saturday. You are so talented!

Michelle L. said...

Really pretty - I have one of those cardigans I never wear, must try this!