Monday, October 14, 2013

Skipper Top Tour by Sew Much Ado

Hello my lovelies! I am so excited to be part of Abby's Skipper Top tour. Abby is the creator, designer, writer, and sewer for her blog Sew Much Ado. I first met her back in May at Fabric Weekend. I really loved getting to know Abby, and just thought she was so sweet and knowledgeable. When she sent the mass email about participating in her Skipper Top Tour, I was beside myself and flattered that she thought of me. Meeting people who also sew is really good for this blogs advancement and so does having virtual friendships with other bloggers, states or countries away. I am just so happy to do this for her. 

When I picked up the manual from Fedex Office, I skimmed through it at first then I went to my fabric stash and picked out my fabrics. 

I have an abundance of this fabric, meant for lil' girl dresses. But I liked the idea of a coral and white top for my Lil' Miss, for Spring.

But I also wanted to make her one she could wear for this coming colder season. I didn't have any warm fabric, appropriate as children's wear, to make Lil' Miss a cute Winter top. But I did remember I had a recent purchase from Goodwill that would suffice.
This Matryoshka print isn't even fabric. It's a women's size medium sweatshirt. I loved it when I bought it, but it was too big for me. I bought it anyways hoping I would think of something to make with it.

Awesome, right?!? 

So I did two Skipper Tops!
 One for Spring and Summer and the other for Fall and Winter. One out of new fabric and the other is a total refashion! I am pleased with my "green" decision. 

I started on the stripes first, so I could get a feel of the pattern pieces and directions. But, instead of placing the bodice back and front on the fold, I placed them diagonally so I could get the chevron look. These stripes are big, so chevron was for sure the way to go. 

Click for the full review and details.
Lil' Miss, modeling the Skipper Top in Chevron Style for Spring.
This pattern was really easy to work with. Abby is very detailed in explaining her instructions, so even a beginner wont get flustered over trying something new.

The pocket is a cotton retro reprint fabric. I think it pairs beautifully with the coral and white chevron.
If you happn to get Abby's Skipper Top pattern and want to make a chevron style, just place both bodice pieces at a diagonal, fold side/center facing up. You will have 4 pattern pieces. Sew the front pieces together at the center and the same with the back. Then sew the front and back together at shoulders and sides.

Lil' Miss modeling the Skipper Top Sweatshirt Style for Winter
To refashion the Skipper Top was very simple also. Because the sweatshirt was so big compared to my 3 year old, I had plenty of fabric to work with.
I cut off the sleeves, sleeve bands, and drop waistband. I then cut the bodice at the side seams and shoulder seams, so that I now had a front and back bodice, separate. I folded each in half, down the center. I put the front bodice pattern on the front sweatshirt piece, on the fold; and did the same to the back.
Once I had my front and back bodice cut out, I measured the sleeves down to her size, just using a sweatshirt she already had. I sewed the sleeves to the armholes of the top. Then I sized down all three of the bands, sewed the wrist ones on at the bottom of each sleeve, and the waist one on at the bottom of the sweatshirt. Hemmed the neckline and done!
Super easy! The great thing about this pattern is that it comes with so many options on how to customize. And I LOVE to customize. I want to make more of these. For Lil' Miss, for my nieces, for my friends kids.  I totally recommend this pattern.  Head on over to Sew Much Ado and check it out for yourself!
And follow along on the tour, so you can see other variations.

2 comments:

Justine/ Sew Country Chick said...

Very cute Bethany!did you have any issues with the striped fabric getting wonky on the bias center seam? I have a hard time stitching knits on bias. I love the swearshirt.looks so comfy!

Sherri Sylvester said...

Funny, I was going to say the same thing as Justine! I love the idea, and you've done it really well. I haven't found any wide stripes I'm happy with. I guess I'll have to get some from Girl Charlee.

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood